Saturday, August 31, 2013

A bit 'o blood

Gary received a bag of blood and a liter of intravenous hydration (ie saline water) today at the hospital.  He was feeling exceptionally tired and low-energy this morning, which is expected with the resumption of radiation treatments.

The blood transfusion drips in over 2.5 hours, and the saline over 4 hours.  Gary's blood is tested prior to each transfusion, and then the blood bank has to prepare the transfusion bag.  So it takes time.  And today it occupied the entire afternoon and early evening.

Many thanks to Gary's friend JOYCE who went with us today to hospital!  Joyce works for our local state assemblyman and therefore was full of political opinion on the current mayoral campaign.  The three of us also made a little picnic in Gary's room with: frozen yogurt, passion-tea lemonade, fresh muffins & scones from Le Pain Quotidien, and delicious fresh bread and sandwiches from The Silver Moon Bakery, of course!

This morning, prior to leaving for the hospital, I was able to attend the last hour of Shabbat worship service at Romemu Congregation.  It was beautiful and joyful, as always.  Some Romemu folks visit this blog from time to time, and Gary and I really cherish your friendship and kindness.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you managed a little picnic in the hospital! I am hoping that today will bring lots of node shrinking, and that Gary has a bit more energy too. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all your comments, which we LOVE to read!